> A bright future
A floating wind farm of 300 x 50 km produces as much as the whole 58 french nuclear power plants !
> Stiff and light
By suppressing the mast, EOLINK solves main design issues : fatigue damage and structural vibrations
> Plug-in concept...
...like in O&G industry
Using a single point mooring reduces cost of energy : installation and maintenance operations are simplified while park's availibility is better
Energy transition is already going on in Europe : Germany plans to get 90% of renewable penetration by 2050 while in 2015, 9% of UK's electricity came from wind and half of it from offshore wind.
On the contrary of conventional fixed offshore wind, floating wind parks are compliant with sea depth greater than 50 meters (blue and pink areas on the picture below).
A wind park of 300km long and 50 km width produces 400 Twh each year : same value as the 58 french nuclear powerplants.
Worlwide potential is 10 000 TWh/y while France Energie Eolienne evaluates french potential to 400 TWh/y.
A breakthrough concept
- A patented structure which offers a better stress distribution and no vibrations issues. This leads to less fatigue damage and less structure's Capital Expenditure.
- A patented floating wind turbine which deploys a single point mooring. This simplifies installation and maintenance because power cables and mooring lines are installed independantly from the wind turbines.
- Innovative control strategies able to reduce fatigue damage and floater's size.
Cost of energy
Onshore wind is already competitive but a massive implantation in Europe seems difficult because of population density.
Offshore wind cost are decreasing, and 103€/MWh has been recently achieved in Denmark.
Considering that Europe have very small fossil resources,
Considering nuclear power has underestimated both major disaster probability and dismantling cost,
Massive floating wind parks will be part of a renewable energy mix in the next decades. Massive means scale economy.
In this economical context, the whole EOLINK design is optimized to get best-in-class cost of energy :
- EOLINK concept increases Annual Energy Production thanks to a high availability rate using redundant systems (multiphased synchroous direct drive generator, twin-pitch system, plug-in electric layout).
- EOLINK decreases Wind Farm Capital Expenditure thanks to its structure which easily sustains bigger rotors and nacelles (>10 MW generator, rotor > 200m).
- EOLINK also cuts down Capital Expenditure reducing loads and stresses and thus using less materials for the structure (-30% of steel at iso-power and iso-control strategies).
- EOLINK doesn't require huge cranes or expensive vessels for both installation and maintenance. EOLINK wind farms are also designed for very low down-times : reduced Operational Expenditure costs.
Computed LCOE benefits are higher than 20% compared with a reference 6MW SPAR.